Encounter with Beauty

They say beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder. Well then I was a beholder some few years back when I met someone who to me was the definition of beauty. Okay she was beautiful, stood out in her own way; she was of short stature, her hair was still bent out of shape from her sleep and seemed to be polite. From fifty yards away, she defined beauty. Maybe you have your own particular trait that defines beauty – one with small eyes, prominent nose or graceful fingers, slim ankles, curvaceous or any other traits. But I do have my own preferences. Sometimes I caught her eye then looked away as if it never happened. If eyes would talk then mine would tell her how I felt about her. I sometimes look at different girls because of their perfect eyes but truth be told no one can insist that his perfect girl corresponds to some preconceived type. Much as I like eyes, I couldn’t recall the shape of hers- or even if she had them. All I could remember is that she was of great beauty.
So I meet a friend then tell him about the girl I met. “I met a beautiful girl.” I tell him.
“Oh, that’s nice. BBW right?” He asks interestingly.
“Not really. I can’t remember how she was. All I just know is that she’s beautiful.”
“Now that is very strange. So what did you do? Did you stop her?” He asked but seemed already bored.
“Nah I just passed her on the street. She was walking north to south and I was walking south to north. But I wish I stopped her say hi, introduce myself and then exchange contacts. Ten minutes would be plenty for all that.”
This was something sure to be crammed full of secrets, like an antique clock built when peace filled the world.
How should I approach her? What should I say? “Hello You. Do you think you could spare sometime for a little conversation?” No. That wouldn’t work. I’d sound like a sales man of a some insurance company.
“Excuse me, would you happen to know of any M-PESA agent in the neighbourhood?” This is ridiculous. You can’t miss any M-PESA agent anywhere. Who on earth would buy to such a line?
Perhaps being honest would be appropriate, “Hey you are the definition of beauty to me.” Would she even believe me when I tell her this? Or maybe she could say, “Thank You but I might be your definition of beauty but sadly you aren’t the definition of handsome to me.” In this situation, I’d probably go to pieces never to recover again.
On a bright sunny morning I see her walking on the other roadside. A small warm air mass touches my skin and the asphalt is damp. She wears a long oversized denim shirt, black pants and black shoes. Her hair was short and neatly combed upwards forming an afro. I decide to proceed and tell her how I feel about her. I cross the road then take a few strides and turn. She’s lost in the crowd. The ideas I come up with are never very practical. Oh, well. It would have started ‘Once upon a time’ and ended ‘A sad story’

Popular posts from this blog

NEW POST ALERT!

A letter to my girlfriend.

Inside a matatu...